Fresh fish feast (Hoe: 회). http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/fresh-fish-meal
Fresh fish, soybean paste, garlic, vinegar, sesame seeds, sesame oil, green onions, green chili peppers, hot pepper paste, honey, salt, wasabi powder, soy sauce, seaweed, flour, vegetable oil, lettuce, cucumber
1. Make fluffy rice! (see http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/rice)
2. Wash and drain lettuce and cucumber and set aside.
3. Cut the cucumber (and carrot, if you have some) into about 4 inch long pieces.
4. Slice limes (or lemons) and green chili peppers crosswise into pieces ¼ inch thick to use as garnish later and set aside.
5. Cut fresh raw fish into bite size pieces and place it on a serving plate.
*tip: cut one motion in one direction. If you cut like a saw, the fish will break and the cut will be ragged instead of smooth and shiny.
6. Garnish with sliced lime, green chili peppers and sprinkle roasted sesame seeds on top.
7. Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Let's make 3 different kinds of delicious dipping sauce for hoe! Choose your favorite or make all 3 to compare the different tastes.
1. "Wasabi and soy sauce"
Make the wasabi paste first by mixing 1 tbs wasabi powder and 2 ts water in a small bowl. Roll into a small ball and add 1/4 cup soy sauce before serving.
2. "Soybean paste based sauce (called chodoenjang or doenjang bangah in Korean)"
Mix these ingredients well in a bowl: ¼ cup soybean paste, 2 tbs hot pepper paste, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tbs worth chopped green chili pepper, 1 tbs honey, 1 ts roasted sesame seeds, 2 tbs vinegar, and 1 tbs sesame oil.
3. "Hot pepper paste based sauce (called chogochujang or chojang in Korean)"
Mix these ingredients in a bowl: ¼ cup hot pepper paste, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tbs honey, 3 tbs vinegar, 1 chopped green onion, and ¼ ts salt.
How to eat:
1. Lightly roast the seaweed and cut into pieces about 3×4 inches in size.
2. Add soy sauce to the wasabi paste you made and mix it well.
3. Place some rice on a piece of roasted seaweed. Add some sliced raw fish and the mixture of wasabi soy sauce.
4. Wrap up the edges of the seaweed to make a packet.
5. Eat it in one bite.
1. Place some sliced raw fish on a leaf of lettuce.
2. Add your favorite dipping sauce from either chojang or chodoenjang. You can add rice if you want.
3. Wrap up the edges of the lettuce leaf to make a packet.
4. Eat it in one bite.
How to pan-fry fresh fish:
1. Clean a fish and remove the guts. Fillet both sides of the fish.
2. Slice the fillet into bite size pieces and sprinkle some salt on each piece.
3. Salt the head and bones.
4. Coat the fish, the fish head and bone lightly with flour.
5. In a heated pan add vegetable oil generously and fry it until golden brown and crispy.
Tags: Fresh fish feast (Hoe: 회), raw fish, sashimi, Korean hoe, Korean raw fish meal, how to prepare raw fish, ssamjang, chodoenjang, Korean food, Korean recipes, sashimi meal, fresh fish feast, fresh fish meal, Korean cuisine, Korean kitchen, Maangchi recipes, 회